Sunday, 28 October 2012

City nick it, won over Swansea 1-0

 The first half was a rather drab affair until a late flurry from Swansea, with Michu going close on a couple of occasions, but the scores were level at the break.

And a much more potent start to the second half saw City make the breakthrough with 60 minutes on the clock after Carlos Tevez found the net from distance.

The first quarter of the match was somewhat of a non-event, but a deep free-kick delivered by Jonathan De Guzman at the 15-minute mark had Joe Hart scrambling, but luckily for the England international the ball went harmlessly out of play.

A Tevez shot five minutes before half-time sparked some life into the match, and Michael Laudrup's side immediately sprang a marvellous counter-attack that ended with Vincent Kompany booting the ball clear ahead of the lurking Michu, after good work down the right from Pablo Hernandez.

A matter of seconds later Leon Britton threaded an inch-perfect through ball between several defenders for Michu, and after getting clear of the City back line the Spaniard looked destined to score, but Hart rushed out and blocked his shot, ensuring the half-time score was 0-0.

City began the second half with purpose as Aguero spun away from De Guzman and then curled an effort towards the top far corner, but it whistled just wide as the match started to liven up.

A couple of minutes later, half-time substitute Mario Balotelli almost got on the end of Samir Nasri???s cross, but Ashley Williams put it behind, while the Italian was soon involved again as it appeared he was brought down in the area by Williams only for the referee to wave play on.

However, the reward for City's good start to the second-half came on the hour mark as Gael Clichy burst in towards the centre before laying the ball off to Tevez, who fired into the bottom corner from some 30 yards.

Despite being behind, Swansea were not giving up and could have won a penalty with 20 minutes to go as a Michu header appeared to hit Kompany on the arm, while a long-range De Guzman strike narrowly missed the top corner four minutes later.

Twelve minutes of stoppage time were added due to rather nasty looking injuries to Swansea goalkeeper Michael Vorm (groin) and Micah Richards (knee), but despite plenty of possession in that time, Swansea were unable to conjure a leveller.

City held on to the three points to go second - at least until Manchester United's match at Chelsea on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a comment

Get widget